Sunday, November 12, 2006

Enjoy The Fruits Of Your Labors!

I was picking up a few things in a building supply center, when I was greeted by a local business owner. He asked how I was doing and we traded small talk. I thought to myself, how enjoyable it was to always run into this guy because of his cheerful outlook and quick smile. As we were saying our goodbyes, he said to me... "Enjoy the fruits of your labors!"

I immediately thought, how refreshing to hear someone say... Enjoy the fruits of your labors! I have always enjoyed what I do for a living... making great food that puts smiles on faces and creating thriving businesses that provide jobs for good people who are willing to learn and work hard. I have always felt fortunate to be living in this great country and living the American Dream.

Then I also thought about how often I hear people complain about their lousy jobs, their lousy pay, and their lousy bosses. They call what they do for a living... "their daily grind." They complain about the very job that puts food on their tables and clothes on their back... and then they dread having to go to work on Mondays.

Enjoy the fruits of your labors! What a refreshing attitude and then I remember just recently when I was standing in line at McDonalds ( I admit I love McDonalds french fries right out of the fryer!)... well anyway, the kid in front of me must have known the counter clerk and said to him as he was leaving... "Take it easy, don't work too hard!" I immediately thought... what an awfull thing to tell someone and the counter clerk replied... "Don't worry, I won't... my shift is almost over and then I am out of this hell hole!"

My mind really started in overdrive and I thought that I would chase that person out of my business if I ever heard that comment. Don't ever tell my employees to take it easy and don't work too hard... what kind of foolish advice is this?

How unfortunate that these kids are starting off their careers believing that the "cool thing" to do is to tell their friends... "Take it easy, don't work too hard!" If this person really cared for their friend... wouldn't it be better to say... "You have a wonderful opportunity here, learn all you can, work your butt off, and let everyone know how fortunate they are to have the best worker in town!"

The opportunity to work is a privilage that should always be respected. It is an opportunity for you to grow, learn, and be productive. When you give more then you are getting paid... you are making the world a better place and you are creating profits. If everyone understood this and had a personal passion to constantly strive to improve their productivity no matter what they were being paid... they would be in high demand and highly compensated. Having a positive attitude about your productivity and what you produce is reflective on your own personal character, your personal values and a healthy work ethic.

Always give your best no matter what. Everything that is produced over what you get paid... consider it to be an investment in your career and your reputation. And whatever you do... NEVER tell someone else to... "Take it easy and don't work too hard!" they may listen to you and then when they get fired for being lazy, and when they can't pay their bills, and then when the government has to give them handouts... remember this comes out of your taxes and your hard earned paycheck! Is this really good advice? I don't think so.

I have always been grateful for the opportunity to work. I like working. I like to push myself to see what I can accomplish. I like sharing the best I have to offer with others... and yes.. I enjoy the fruits of my labors!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home